[Sca-cooks] Romanian Cookbook: Sauces, beef, and snails

Solwerlad fitzlancelot at seznam.cz
Mon Jul 28 02:31:50 PDT 2003

Could you please post the name of the cookbook?

Now a bit of comment:

PL> a few unknown words: cucunari, a kind of nut seemingly. Sarpurel, and
PL> macris, probably vegetables or plants. Iahnii: may be juniper berries. I've
PL> left the expressions I'm not sure of in Romanian, feel free to give all the
PL> feedback you want!

Macris (pronounced makrish) is sorrel.
Sarpurel (sherpurel) is Lycopodium complanatum.

PL> Another way: Take roseflowers with their flowers yellow inside, 1 (oca), 8
PL> dram cloves, 4 dram myrrh, 12 dram cinnamon, all these well ground and mix
PL> with rose flowers and put in a bucket of well-water, to a soft fire, until
PL> it will (esi) all (humezeala) the rose flowers.
This last line means: until it will drain out all the humidity out of
the rose flowers.

PL> Sauce in the imperial way. Have a (ulcelusa zmantuita: boiling pot?)
it is a glazed clay pot

PL> Of sirloin. Have the sirloin with its fat and sprinkle with wine and with
PL> rose vinegar and, sprinkling, sprinkle with salt, pepper, cinnamon, cloves,
PL> nutmeg and melilot seeds, all these finely ground, and let stand thus a
PL> little. Then roast on the spit, supporting 'mustul'
"must" means juice

PL>  that will scald it and
PL> when it is about cooked, yet still raw, take the spit and put in a pot, add
PL> 2 flasks of meat broth and 1/2 flask of vinegar and one of spiced or
PL> sweetened wine, add "neavand musilez" (spiced wine, again?),
"neavand" means literally "not having", so the next ingredients are
probably supposed to replace "musilez"
PL>  dried
PL> cherries, small currants, savory and the juice in which it cooked, and
PL> onions fried in fresh butter, chopped small, and with all these boil. And
PL> when you serve in the pot, add the juice over with cinnamon.

PL> Another dish: To make and 'sweat' after frying with chipped onions,
PL> (dinpreuna) and with root of parsley, mix of all leaves, 'cucunari' whole
PL> and with dried cherries and a little vinegar or lemon juice.
"dinpreuna" means "all together", "together with"

PL> Another dish. To make snails and 'iahnii' (juniper?) sweet, with
PL> fried onions chopped small, with root of parsley, salt, pepper a little
PL> clove and cinnammon, and on the margins of the pot put lemon leaves and
PL> other ornaments as you want.
"Iahnie" is rather a dish than an ingredient, a kind of stew (of
Turkish origin) - which makes sense in the above recipe: to make a stew
of snails and other things.

Solwerlad                          mailto:fitzlancelot at seznam.cz

Car mon pire et mon mieu
Sont les plus deserts lieux.