[Sca-cooks] professional cooks-- reality check wanted

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Tue Jul 29 10:59:06 PDT 2003

Also sprach Olwen the Odd:
>>I do think either Le Menagier or Taillevent has a recipe for what
>>amounts to a terrine, essentially a meat pie made in a pot instead
>>of a crust. I don't think it's done with liver, though. You might
>>also investigate the [I think] 15th-century English sources for
>>meat stuffings cooked in flowerpots, sacks, etc., then removed and
>>glazed to look like their original containers.
>>
>>Adamantius
>
>I would like to read about some of these sources for the illusion
>meat stuffings.  Anyone have any pointers on where to go?
>Olwen

As I say, one of the 15th-century English sources, I assume one of
the manuscripts gathered in the Austin edition "Two Fifteenth-Century
Cookery Books", or maybe it is "Curye On Inglysch" has a series of
recipes all based on the same stuffing, done in the form of pottes,
and sac wis ("sack-wise", etc.).

Okay, my error. I just checked, and it's in the Forme of Cury, near
the end, IIRC. 14th century. It involves ground pork liver, eggs,
spice powder, and currants. This same mixture is then used to make
pommes dorre (golden apples/oranges?), the stuffing and body support
for cockagrys, also calling for a cock and a piglet, followed by
urchins, pots and sacks.

Maybe someone else has more specifics on the French recipe for making
a pasty in a pot?

Adamantius