[Sca-cooks] Chickpeas, was Duh

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 29 23:17:53 PDT 2003

G. Tacitus Adamantius scripsit:
>Also sprach lilinah at earthlink.net:
>  >Yeah, this was one of my great disappointments in going to Chez
>  >Panisse in Berkeley... they did not serve panisse, of which i had
>  >become very fond when i lived in Provence, where they are a Lenten
>  >food.
>  >
>  >Anahita
>
>Yeah, you'd think, with that name, huh? But Chez Panisse is supposed
>to be one of the greatest restaurants in the history of the field.
>(I've never been there.) And you were disappointed by that?

Well, this was "back in the day", before they were famous, not long
after they opened. You could just walk in for dinner without a
reservation. I would dress up in a 1930s outfit from my collection of
old clothes (complete with shoes, hat, handbag, art deco cloak, etc.)
and go have a nice dinner. It wasn't terribly far from where i lived,
so i walked there (i didn't have a car then).

I also dropped in for breakfast when they started serving that. I
once had the most amazing thing, like a Danish, but filled with
caramelized onions. Mmm-mmm-mmm.

I haven't eaten there in close to 30 years, even though it's a short
drive from where i now live.

Anahita