[Sca-cooks] OT - A little history

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Thu Jul 31 12:59:25 PDT 2003

Also sprach CorwynWdwd at aol.com:
>In a message dated 7/31/2003 2:31:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>Jeff.Gedney at dictaphone.com writes:
>
>>  They, nonetheless, were American foodstuffs, and a relative of the deadly
>>  nightshade, and the green parts can make you sick or kill you. Even
>>  Gerard's Herbal mention their use as an infrequent thing, IIRC, saying that
>>  in one area the fruit is eaten fruied in oil with a little salt.
>>

>That (among other places I'm sure) would be the Southern United States
>nowadays. I enjoy green tomatoes breaded and fried. I suppose the
>cooking COULD have
>something to do with it, but unless I'm wrong, pickled tomatoes are also
>green?

I think Brandu is talking, when he says, "green parts", about the
leaves and stalks. Conversely, when Gerard talks about an area where
they're fried in oil with salt (and, possibly vinegar? I forget),
he's referring to Spain, and he goes onto say something like, "and
that is their sauce".

But I like fried green tomatoes, too, but being a UUY and all, I am
at a genetic disadvantage as to their preparation. However I'm quite
skilled at eating them.

Adamantius