[Sca-cooks] my hot water:recipe question

Angie Malone alm4 at cornell.edu
Mon Jun 2 21:10:46 PDT 2003

Hello everyone,

   I am sorry the subject is not more descriptive.  I am doing a feast and
am testing the recipes, which to be honest I don't usually do, but since
the venison meat is $3.50 a pound I want to test first.

   I was able to get 4 1/2 pounds of venison of unknown cut.  It doesn't
have any bones in it and is fairly small pieces none of it was bigger than
2 or 3 hotdogs stuck together.

    Anyway, here's my question.

  I am doing this feast from the Medieval Kitchen (Redon, Sabban and serventi.)

I am testing the sweet and sour civet of venison  (I have guessed with all
the other food I am making this  will be a 10 person portion)

Anyway, here's the recipe, and my question is, has anyone else done this
recipe.  I was considering cutting the meat in pieces for cooking, or
cutting it right before I add it to the pan at the end, but it will be hot
and hard to cut?, since many of you know more about the mechanics of
cooking I am hoping someone can give suggestions.  BTW, I realize if I cut
it up it will cook a lot quicker.

     Title: Sweet and Sour Civet of Venison
  Categories: Game, Meats, Medieval
       Yield: 10 Servings

   4 1/2 lb Venison (braising cut)
       7 oz Fatback (unsalted pork)
     7/8 c  Raisins
     1/2 c  Almonds (blanched)
       5 oz Bread (lightly toasted)
       6 c  Red Wine Vinegar
   1 1/4 c  Red wine
       1 ts Ginger(ground)
       1 ts Cinnamon(ground)
       1 sm Onion
            Salt

     Simmer the meat for 1 1/2 to 2 hours in the vinegar mixed with 6
   cups of water and seasoned with salt.  The meat should be tender but
   not overcooked.  Remove the meat and keep warm.
     Meanwhile, crumble the bread and soak in the wine. Chop the raisins
   and almonds in a food processor until they form a fairly smooth
   paste.  Mash the soaked bread to a paste and add it to the food
   processor with the raisin mixture, then add 3 cups of the meat
   cooking liquid. Press the mixture through the fine blade of a food
   mill into a saucepan, add the spices and bring slowly to the boil
   over low heat.  Simmer for 30 minutes or until the sauce is smooth
   and thickened.  Peel and slice the onion. Cut the pork into small
   strips; saute a quarter of the pork in a skillet until the fat begins
   to render, then add the onion and cook over low heat until the onion
   is tender and translucent, but not browned.  Pick the strips of pork
   out of the pan with a fork or a pair of tongs and add them to the
   sauce.  Puree the cooked onions in a food processor and add the mto
   the sauce as well.  Simmer for a minute or two longer.
      Render the remaining pork strips, add the venison, and brown it on
   all sides.  Drain well and arrange on a serving platter.  Check the
   sauce for seasoning.  Add more spices if their flavor is not marked
   enough; the quantities given are on the scanty side.
      Coat the meat with the sauce and serve immediately.