[Sca-cooks] Strawberye

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Jun 6 08:58:38 PDT 2003

I'm putting together some strawberry sauce from this recipe tonight:

" Take Strawberys, and waysshe hem in tyme of yere in gode red wyne; yan
strayne yorwe a clo ye, and do hem in a potte with gode Almaunde mylke,
a-lay it with Amyndoun oyer with ye flowre of Rys, and make it chargeaunt
and lat it boyle, annd do yer-in Roysonys of coraunce, Safroun, Pepir,
Sugre grete plente, pouder Gyngere, Canel, Galyngale; poynte it with
Vynegre, and a lytil whyte grece put yer-to; coloure it with Alkenade, and
droppe it a-bowte, plante it with graynys of Pomegarnad, and yan serue it
forth."

I'm wondering if it is at all reasonable to omit the wine from the recipe
on the grounds that the recipe says 'wash' the strawberries in wine, and
doesn't have them included. But that 'strain it through a cloth' worries
me, is this really a sort of strawberry jelly?

I want to serve this with pain perdu, so leaving out the wine would make
me happy. ;)

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"In the nonstop tsunami of global information, librarians provide us with
floaties and teach us how to swim." --Linton Weeks, Washington Post 1/13/01.