[Sca-cooks] Re: Dalby on Spices

Devra at aol.com Devra at aol.com
Mon Jun 9 08:16:27 PDT 2003

I just checked one of my copies of this.  For each spice discussed, Dalby
cites the earliest references he can find.  For cloves, for instance, he cites
Indian, Chinese, and Arabic sources--biblio info is in the notes at the back.
Besides an 11 page glossary of alternate names, he has 6 pages of bibliographic
notes, 3 pages of 'Further Reading',and 3 pages of sources--although he does
note "This is a selection of the original sources quoted above which can be
read in a modern translation." One thing I recommend when reading Dalby is
having two good atlases,  one historical and one modern, by your side. As a
non-visual person, I have enormous trouble remembering where the various spices came
from and he doesn't have a nice little map attached to each spice. (darn)
     Devra (putting the book back onto the stock shelf)

Devra Langsam
www.poisonpenpress.com
devra at aol.com