[Sca-cooks] FSG, Off Topic and OOP

Kirsten Houseknecht kirsten at fabricdragon.com
Mon Jun 16 15:53:21 PDT 2003

We just got back from FSG (Free Spirit Gathering)...

While we were happy to see our old friends, and make new ones, we did not
have our usual wonderful time this year.

We lost all three of our merchanting pavilions to the 50 mph wind gusts on
Thursday evening.
ALL the merchandise hit the ground, including the trims...
I suspect they will be finding amber and jet "down stream" of our site until
next year!

In addition to the pavilions themselves, we lost a LOT of our display
supplies as they are based on cardboard and ply board... (including several
30 bucks a pop ring trays..) <OUCH!>

most of the trims had minimal damage. maybe a yard or two... but some rolls
are going to have to be sold as "damaged" at probably less than my cost.  of
course all my trim is machine washable, so it CAN be salvaged, but still....
the jewelry is mostly ok,it can be washed, after all, but a lot of the
earring cards are a loss....and some pieces were damaged.

Still....... no PEOPLE got hurt at our tent collapse.  Stuff can be
replaced... people cannot!

Oddly, I would have been right under it except that I was helping batten
down another merchants pavilion...... and looked back at my tents to see
twisted metal where I had been! Good karma or something I guess........

No, the pavilions didn't come unstaked, (when I stake something it stays
PUT) the frames snapped because of insufficient prep for high winds.....If I
had only known, I would have dropped the roofs, or put more guy lines out.

We tried to get a big "carport" type cover for the event, but they were sold
out. We trotted "old reliable" out of storage and made do....... it is only
ten by ten, though, so our display was also on tables that could not be
covered.....

It rained off and on for the rest of the event, with constant wind threats.
We kept having to cover and move our merchandise..... it really cut into our
sales!
People do not buy things covered under tarps and ropes, for some reason <wry
smile>

Sunday was gorgeous, of course....

The only item that didn't budge an inch was the altar.  I had an altar of
Ganesha and Lakshmi set up.. the orange I had as an offering didn't even
roll off!  I guess they had guy lines out, but I do wish they had
shared......

Other merchants lost a lot as well.. including several who had statuary or
stuff get smashed..... and many more who suffered damage to their pavilions.

Here is hoping your week was better....

Kirsten Houseknecht
Fabric Dragon
kirsten at fabricdragon.com
www.fabricdragon.com
Philadelphia, PA     USA
Trims, Amber, Jet, Jewelry, and more...

I worry about you, wear a reflective sweater...