[Sca-cooks] Food items?

AEllin Olafs dotter aellin at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 28 08:23:11 PDT 2003

I've been on jury duty this week, so of course I've been hanging out in
Chinatown. (You didn't know that follows as the night does the day?
You've never been to a courthouse in the County of New York... it's
right on the edge of Chinatown. And we had long lunches, this week -
things were slow.)

Now, New York's Chinatown is not by any means exclusively Chinese, these
days. I lunched in Vietnamese restaurants, to try a cuisine with which I
am totally unfamiliar. Besides, they had  Rice Dishes - meat and
vegetables over rice with tea and sometimes a small bowl of noodle soup.
Tax and tip included hovering close to $5.00. Can't beat that. It's
good, too. I didn't add the myriad hot sauces, because I liked the taste
of the sauces used for the cooking.

Anyhow, I nudled around the shops a bit, looking for Interesting
Inexpensive Things that I could easily carry. Found good prices for
things I am already familiar with, and will return to a few...  But also...

I am now the proud possessor of sliced dried galangale. I remember a
discussion of the impossibility of grinding dry hunks of the stuff, and
presume that's why it is sliced very thin. Now I need to figure out what
I am going to do with this.

I also  have a cylinder of sugar. It's from Indonesia. The label says
Gula Jawa, which might be the product and might be the brand, and
there's a sticker on it that adds Sudah Disaring BERSIH.   What does
this tell me? (Anahita??)  It says the ingredients are Arenga sugar and
Cane sugar (which doesn't tell me much more than the Indonesian...
what's Arenga? OK, Cane, I know.) Comments? Information?

Last week, in just over  one day, we went from a high of 60 to a high of
90. Add this to the wettest June on record... we're not baked, we're
steamed...

AEllin