[Sca-cooks] Sabrina Welserin Mustard Sauce

Patricia Collum pjc2 at cox.net
Sun Jun 1 09:20:03 PDT 2003

Yesterday was our A&S competition. I decided at the last minute (6:30am that day) that I would bring this mustard sauce and make it right then. I had made Sir Digby's mustard several monthe before, and the contrast between the two was really nice. My Kingdom MoAS suggested that I only enter one at Kingdom A&S, and Sabrina's won the most positive comments. I did not win the category with the mustard yesterday, because their were no other cooking-condiments entries to compete against. This may also happen at Kingdom. But the crowd's reaction was wonderful.
Original recipe (translated in english from Das Kuchbuch der Sabrina Welserin (1553): To make the mustard for dried cod:

Take mustard powder, stir into it good wine and pear preserves and put sugar into it, as much as you feel is good, and make it as thick as you prefer to eat it, then it is a good mustard.

I decided to use canned pears instead of pear preserves like the redaction that I read in 'Making Medieval-Style Mustards' by Jadwiga Zajaczkowa/Jenne Heise.(Thank you for a wonderful article!)

my redaction: 1 cup freshly ground mustard seed (starting with about 1 Tbsp of brown mustard seed to 3 Tbsp yellow)

2 small cans (8 1/2 oz.) pears in heavy syrup, drained well

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup red wine vinegar

1/4 cup cooking sherry

dump all contents into a blender and whirl until smooth.