[Sca-cooks] my hot water:recipe question

Lorenz Wieland lorenz_wieland at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 3 11:53:24 PDT 2003

Angie Malone wrote:
> Anyway, here's the recipe, and my question is, has anyone else done
> this recipe.  I was considering cutting the meat in pieces for
> cooking, or
> cutting it right before I add it to the pan at the end, but it will
> be hot
> and hard to cut?, since many of you know more about the mechanics of
> cooking I am hoping someone can give suggestions.  BTW, I realize if
> I cut
> it up it will cook a lot quicker.

I'm not familiar with the particular recipe, but I'd add a couple of
suggestions in addition to Johnnae's excellent idea of doing a test run with
stewing beef:

Since the redaction you're using isn't being very picky about sticking to
original techniques, I'd suggest browning the meat and onion before
braising.  That generally produces a much tastier result.

Consider braising the dish in a slow oven instead of on a stovetop.

I wouldn't recommend doing too much to speed up cooking.  Braising is
inherently a slow cooking method for good reason.  The strong flavors need
time to get acquainted and become friends.  Shoving them all together
quickly by using small bits or high heat results in a much less happy dish.

I'm surprised to see mushrooms missing from this recipe.  I thought they
were an inherent part of a civet.   Then again, blood also used to be a
given, but many modern civet recipes avoid that...

-Lorenz