[Sca-cooks] Summer temperatures and our itenerary

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Fri Jun 6 08:35:44 PDT 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> There's a difference between having rain during Pennsic and having a wet
> Pennsic. It's the difference between having it rain a couple of times
> during the two weeks, and having it rain every or nearly every day.
>
> Margaret
>
> > When are you people *not* having a wet Pennsic? From the stories I've
> > heard over the years, a dry Pennsic would be contrary to the laws of
> > gods, men, and the BoD! <g>
> > --maire

Margaret is right. There's usually one REALLY rainy day at Pennsic, most
often on Thursday of War Week, but much of the resat of the event can be
awfully dry and hot. There's a good reason why we tend to train hard on
treating heat stress injuries at Chirurgeon's Point. Even as aware of
dehydration as our fighters are, and as hard as our waterbearers work to get
water to folks, we invariably have several people keel over and need
treatment, ranging from cooling them down and getting water into them, to
on-site IVs, to hospital trips.

And, there's a reason why SPCA camp is such a prime place to camp- we're
shaded, with (usually) a cool breeze coming in off the lake on the hottest
days. We're usually 10+ degrees cooler than on the Serengeti. Even when it
rains, our willow trees tend to suck up the water almost as fast as it
falls, and they like us- whenever we've had one get blown over, it has done
its best to fall where it would cause us no harm- very difficult,
considering how crowded we all are during War Week.

Phlip

cat.

Never a horse that cain't be rode,