[Sca-cooks] Suggestions for camp food...

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Mon Jun 9 13:53:14 PDT 2003

OK, guys, I have a bit of a problem. As a cook, I've never previously
worried about feeding myself at camping events, but with the smithing I've
been doing, it has gotten to be a bit of a problem- I just don't have the
time or energy to feed myself properly while working all day on the forge,
and with the effort and energy I put out, I need to consume at least 3000
calories just to maintain my weight-preferably, fairly high protein (carbs
aren't a problem- they just don't last all day, and I don't do much sugar or
fat). I also am not going to feasts as much as I normally would because I
need to keep an eye on my fire.

I can use my forge for a couple of things, and I do, to prove it can be
done, but I'd really like some suggestions for tasty, easy, hot foods I can
throw together quickly. I have reasonable equipment- a 3 burner Coleman, and
a family mess kit with perking coffee pot. My cooler is pretty good- it's an
old, construction worksite 5 gallon drink dispensor, metal, that will hold 4
bags of ice with some cubes left over across a weekend, so keeping fresh
foods cold isn't difficult.

Here are the jokers. This next event, my companion, who is at best an
average cook, is allergic to egg whites, so scrambled, etc eggs are out-HB
eggs are OK- he can remove the whites. He strongly dislikes fresh meats,
although processed meats like bacon or ham are OK, and hamburger or sausage,
if it's disguised, are edible for him.

For my part, I avoid most processed foods- too much salt and preservatives-
and I'll be particularly avoiding them since I suspect the meats will be
heavily processed. Consequently, Lutheran binders are out.

Normally, I marinate meat strips, add some veggies and maybe dried fruits,
and serve the whole mess over rice, or make up some beans and rice with cold
or hot fresh veggies on the side, but the last couple of events, I've just
been too busy, and this one the meat strips are out.

Thoughts, all?

Phlip

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.