[Sca-cooks] Ein gefulten kuchen

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Tue Jun 17 09:03:10 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, June 17, 2003, at 11:42  AM, Decker, Terry D. wrote:

> The general term for baking is "gebachen," so a baked dish would be
> "gebachte."  You need to be careful here, because "gebachen" can be
> used to
> describe either baked or fried.  A phrase like "gebachen in oyl"
> suggests
> frying rather than baking.
>
> The Germans were into a lot of pan cooked or deep fried pastries, so I
> tend
> to think that this is a pan cake or fritter rather than a baked item.

Probably correct; this is the simplest explanation. On the other hand,
having just made a nice Yorkshire pudding on Sunday, I have to wonder
about the viability of taking "bake it in fat" literally.

To me, the big argument against all these different baked dishes
appearing regularly at various meals is the fact that not everyone had
ovens all the time. Now, while large estates would have had them, what
about smaller householders and city dwellers? They presumably would not
be as likely to assume "bake it in fat" involves an oven.

Adamantius