[Sca-cooks] Spice Blends

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Wed Jun 18 17:08:23 PDT 2003

At 08:38 -0700 2003-06-18, lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
> I sent this last night at 6:07 PDT, but it never showed up in any of
> the Digests i get...
>

> In reviewing old messages, i find several times comments to the effect that
> "The Viandier de Taillevent lists proportions of spices for Pouder
> Forte, Pouder Douce and Spice Pouder"
>
> I cannot find my copy of the second volume of Cariadoc's cookbook
> collection, which may have Taillevent...
>
> So, can anyone fill this in? What are those proportions and which spices?

Not, I believe, in Viandier itself.  I provide some recipes from
other sources in my edition, and that could be what the writers
were referring to.

The Vatican and BN mss have nothing directly for "Pouder Forte".  I
believe that it is the same as "Spice Powder".

Pichon and Vicaire, in their transcription of the Vatican ms, offer
on page 26 a recipe for "Spice Powder":

Grind ginger (4 parts), cassia (3 1/2 parts), nutmeg (2 parts),
pepper (1 1/2 parts), long pepper, cloves, grains of paradise
and galingale (1 part each).

The Vatican and BN mss have nothing directly for "Pouder Douce".
Menagier (trans. Power) has a recipe embedded within the recipe
for "Hippocras":

Take four ounces of very fine cinnamon, two ounces of fine
cassia flowers, an ounce of selected Mecca ginger, an ounce
of grains of paradise, and a sixth [of an ounce] of nutmeg and
galingale combined.  Crush them all together.  Take a good
half ounce of this powder and eight ounces of sugar [(which
thus makes Sweet Powder)].

Thorvald