[Sca-cooks] fish sausages recipe please

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Fri Jun 20 10:19:33 PDT 2003

On Friday, June 20, 2003, at 10:07  AM, Olwen the Odd wrote:

> Hi all.
> I was reading thorugh the illusions food section in the Florilethingy
> and saw a post from Adamantius about fish sausages.  If you are here,
> could you please post the recipe and any special notes on technique?

I'm having a little trouble finding my recipe, but I'm in the process
of editing and compressing an hour of video footage which is very
processor-intensive, and eeeeevvvverryythhhiiiinnnggggg iiissssss
gooooiiiiiinnnnnnggggg verrrrrrrrrryyyyyyy slooooooooooooowwwwlllyyyy.
I may have better luck later. Will post if I do.

This is a staple of modern Normandy, although I can think of at least
one white pudding recipe that involves a meatless filling stuffed into
a sturgeon gut (Ising Puddings, in, I think, John Murrell) from
in-or-near-period, so I imagine dishes like this did exist in regional
cuisines if not in Ye Olde Offysshyll Periode Courte Cookery. Of
course, this is speculation on my part.

As I recall the last time we did this, we used cod, scallops, a small
amount of white bread (fresh crumb, no crust) soaked in heavy cream,
and egg whites. A little chervil, I think. Pork casings, although there
are other options for those wishing to avoid the meat aspect. They come
out a beautiful ivory white if you don't use any shellfish that turn
pink when you cook them. I would advise against using frozen seafood
for this; it releases a lot of water in the cooking process, which
affects the texture.

Countess Brekke may have the recipe closer to hand at the moment;
perhaps she can post if she gets this message before I find my copy.

Back to 4 frames per second, ~50,000 frames to go...

Adamantius