[Sca-cooks] Re:Cheese Question

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Jun 23 08:06:15 PDT 2003

> I thought we had so many regulations because too many people refuse to take
> responsibility for their own behaviour.

Many of the current regulations were put in place because there were
health hazards that occured to uninformed consumers. The milk regulations
are relatively old in the United States-- in many cases they were adopted
to fight Brucellosis as well as typhoid and TB. Though these conditions
are no longer spread by contaminated milk, there was originally a reason
for these regulations.

An example of a modern Pasteurization rule is the one affecting apple
cider. Because bacteria in un pasteurized cider can cause dehibilitating
diarrhea in young children and the elderly, action was taken by the states
to control distribution of unpasteurized cider. It can still be sold by
family farms in PA, clearly labelled; but most commercial firms opt to go
with the pasteurization...

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"What don't die can't live. What don't live can't change. What don't
change can't learn." -- Terry Pratchett, _Lords and Ladies_