[Sca-cooks] argh spicing

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Jun 22 19:35:14 PDT 2003

Having looked at this problem previously, I would estimate that the time
from harvest to European port was six to 18 months.  The travel time into
Central Europe is problematic and likely varied widely.  Given the state of
Europe after the fall of Rome, the movement of spices from Byzantium into
the rest of Europe might have taken several years and been reduced to
several months when trade had improved and the political climate was
favorable.

For much of period, most spices (true grains of paradise is an obvious
exception) traveled from Southern Asia up the Red Sea for delivery to the
markets in Alexandria.  They then were disbursed around the Mediterranean.
In the 16th Century, the Portuguese opened a route around Africa to Lisbon.
Vasco de Gama's return voyage lasted 9 months, but he was stopping to handle
political and military matters.

Spices were very likely shipped in water-proofed barrels or boxes, which
would help retain freshness.  They were certainly shipped whole and probably
stayed that way until prepared by the apothecary selling them or the cook or
physician who bought them.  It would be interesting to see how well whole
spices keep over time in apothecary jars.

And as a question I haven't researched, does anyone know how long it takes
harvest and transfer spices (outside of the large food processing companies)
today?

Bear