[Sca-cooks] OOP-Rice question

Robert Downie rdownie at mb.sympatico.ca
Sun Jun 29 15:07:17 PDT 2003

Sue Clemenger wrote:

> Howdy.
> I ran across a recipe for paella last week, and it specifies using a
> "short grain Spanish rice."  Now, short-grained rice I understand, but I
> don't think I've ever seen something labeled as "Spanish rice" (outside
> the completely nasty stuff the Lunchroom Ladies used to make when I was
> in school).
> Are they just being snooty about labels? or is there a reason for this
> special rice? Anyone have an idea about a more find-able substitute?
> --maire

Such a beast does exist, although how crucial the use of that particular
type is to the success of your finished dish, I can't say.  Look for:
-Bahia (accent on the I)- a short grained Spanish rice, cook for 12-15
minutes
-Thainato- a short grained Spanish rice, cook 15-18 minutes
-unpolished Spanish short grain rice is also available, it needs a soak
followed by 30-35 minutes of cooking time

This information is straight out of  _The Rice Bible_ by Christian Teubner
ISBN 1-55285-445-0

Faerisa