[Sca-cooks] Kashrut and illusion food

Devra at aol.com Devra at aol.com
Sat Mar 1 13:02:04 PST 2003

I don't think that lungs are forbidden.  Until NYS got antsy about them
carrying disease, you used to be able to buy knishes with lung stuffing, as
well as potato or chopped meat.

Many years ago, I went to a small but wonderful event called 'Feast for a
winter's afternoon.'  Among the other great dishes they had at least 3 kewl
illusion items: sugar-frosted grapes mixed on the tray with marzipan grapes,
rolls which were cut open and stuffed with baby-rabbit stew, then recovered,
and a dynamite 'cake'.  The cake was served as part of the first course, and
looking at it, you thought it was a frosted darkish spice cake. Actually, the
'cake' was a chicken loaf (think meatloaf or pate), the base frosting was
whipped egg white slathered on and then hardened/cooked in the oven, and the
decoration (yellow dots all over the white 'frosting') was egg yolk piped on
in little spots and then cooked in oven.  (They might have done both stages
of the 'frosting' in one go.) It was served cold, I think, and was both
clever and tasty.
     Devra

Devra Langsam
www.poisonpenpress.com