[Sca-cooks] New Title and Lands

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 13 15:06:43 PST 2003

Okay, by popular demand I am posting a little
thing that happened to me last Crown tournament.

Y'see it all started when the Baron and Baroness
of Tir Ysgithr (Tucson, AZ) stepped down. They
wanted to make a splash of it so they managed
to each die at some part of Court. This was very
tragic and there was much moaning and wailing.
Much to the annoyance of the King.

The next day it was announced that it would be a week
before the new B&B would take over the lands so the
Crown entertained (and I do mean entertained!) bids
for people to rule the lands in the meantime.

Now people came forward bearing trinkets and avowing
their worthiness to hold these lands but I found them
all rather amusing and unimpressive. Knowing His
Majesty's penchant for accumulating wealth and taxes
I offered my bid. Being as how I was landless in these
sovereign lands of Atenveldt I couldn't pay much in
taxes so I pressed my claim that I was an absolute
tyrant in my former kingdom. My people hated me because
bled them dry of all but the bare necessities. I gave
all the proceeds (with just the teeniest cut for me..um
..the Church) to the Crown of Ansteorra so the army
would prosper. I had a wonderful rant going. About how
the ungrateful wretches rose against their betters and
drove me from Ansteorra, all because I was a good servant
of the King.

I promised to do the same for these lands. Why, I would
bleed the populace for every sou they had and then, when
the new baron and baroness took office the people would cheer
them! That way the King would be rich and His people happy.
Isn't that a win-win situation?

Later, the King (may the light always reflect off his head)
thought of all the offers and claims and came to the conclusion
that nobody would get the land. Although He rather enjoyed
my enthusiasm. And since He saw I was a useful subject He
remembered some lands in far distant Atenveldt. This group
is far behind on its taxes and felt I would be good for it.
Being that I would now be in charge of this land I should bear
its name. This is the group called "Ajo".

I am now addressed as Gunthar, Count Ajo.

And it is fortunate that I am named such, because "ajo" is
Spanish for "garlic". Guess what their main crop is....

So I now bear the name of my favorite of all God's gifts.

Besides, as I told the King, I have always been referred to
as "That Ajo Count".

Yers,

Gunthar
Count Ajo