[Sca-cooks] File

mtraber251 at earthlink.net mtraber251 at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 30 16:00:27 PST 2003

lol, and i suppose the paltry couple of tbsp of flour coating the beef in stew, or the tbsp of cornstarch per gallon or so of beef stew doesnt thicken? The texture of a good stew or gumbo is about the same, and it doesnt take much to attain it. Lol, I can actually get it in beef stew of nothing but beef and onions by cooking the liquid down uncovered throughout the day...and icurrently have a batch of duck heart, beef chunks and onions that is the consistance of a steak-and-kidney pie filling by doing nothing but simmering it and its cooking liqid down.

Yes, file has a mild 'green' taste that most people cant taste over the 'holy trinity' of cooking...and yes, that paltry tbsp of file DOES thicken that pot of gumbo.

And i knew plenty of people who didnt put okra in their gumbo, and they had been there since the town was purchased from Napolean..

margali

the quote starts here:
Message: 5