[Sca-cooks] Pennsic Bread Recommendations?

Rosine rosine at sybercom.net
Mon Mar 3 02:44:18 PST 2003

From: "Muireann Ni Muirchertaig"
> Rosine - Thanks for the tip on the Coleman oven, there
> goes that idea.. :-S  And I have to agree with
> Kiriel's take on the boyscout oven.. :-D  What a
> horrible waste of boyscouts! :)  Seriously though,
> what is a boyscout oven?? (Says she who is wondering
> why her eagle scout hubby didn't mention this when she
> first brought up the Pennsic bread issue)

First - it just occurred to me that should dire things happen and you don't
get down to SPCA's camp (or House Blackstar), you could always just go to
the Bread Bowl Inn and buy a loaf of fresh-baked bread. It'd be modern white
bread (okay, so you're rich!), but it's in a nice round shape.

******
Here's the scoop on the Boy Scout Oven (I'm cutting and pasting from another
email sent privately. Original typing is something I can't do a lot of for
long right now - leaning forward is a no-no.)

You're gonna laugh....

Take a standard cardboard box and cover the inside with foil (leave the
flaps unsealed as needed to access and to lay the box "open-ended" on the
bare ground). Pierce the sides sufficiently to suspend a grill from them.
Light charcoal - figure approx. 50 degrees per briquette after 20 minute
burntime. Place box over briquettes, shut lid. When the briquettes have
burnt for 20 minutes or so (figure "preheat") open lid and put item on
grill) close lid. Check occasionally that baking is doing well - but not too
often. If things appear to be turning to ash too soon, add one briquette at
a time, waiting 10 minutes between each.

After baking, allow to cool, dismantle oven, burn box for "some-mores"
dessert and use the foil to wrap drippy garbage. Take grill home.

Weird, eh?

Rosine