[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks digest, cast iron

Leah A. Montgomery mog_bane at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 3 17:12:49 PST 2003

   *sigh* Don't you hate it when they are nice?? Especially when they wash
your 150 year old inherited from your great-grandmother cast iron?? It took
me a year to forgive a friend of mine for his kindness. *grin*
   Anyway, on to your question. Oil. Simply apply oil to it. No need to do
anything else. You can either spray on Pam or something like it. (I've got
one of those spray bottles that is reusable and I've filled it with olive
oil.) Or you can drop a dollop in the pan and then wipe it all over the pan
with a paper towel or the like. Also, occasionally wipe or spray it down
anyway. I've found that my cast iron loves me much more when I do. I've got
a couple of pans that I bought used, and they were rusted pretty bad. I just
oiled them down and wiped the extra oil, plus the rust, away. You might have
to take a clean non-soapy scrubber to it the first time you oil it. I've
never had to do more than soak in hot water for a few minutes after that.
One is pretty pitted, but works just as well as any of the others.
  Yes, I love my cast iron like a child.

Leah A. Montgomery
mog_bane at hotmail.com
ICQ#: 83404701
SCA: Mahvash bint Wahib al Marakeshi called Samira
Head of Byat Al Hirrar
"The lust of the goat is the gift of the gods."
"Some are born to sweet delight. Some are born to endless night." William
Blake
Love as if you have never been hurt.