[Sca-cooks] Oats

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Mar 4 22:51:27 PST 2003

Brighid ni Chiarain asked:
> I'm tempted to try a soup recipe that is thickened with oats.  What kind of
> oats should I use?  I know that rolled oats are not period.  Would steel-cut
> oats be appropriate?
I was going through the soup-msg file in the Florilegium earlier this evening looking for soups for Gulf Wars, and I remember a number of them there had grains, including oats, in them. You might look there for comments on different grains and what is period.

You might also look in the grains-msg file for info on when various grains and
types of grain processing were used.

Stefan

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com