[Sca-cooks] Oats

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Wed Mar 5 10:03:01 PST 2003

> > > You might experiment--whole-grain oats, or steel-cut oats, or
> > > oats-ground-to-a-powder/flour.
> >
> > Some places will also sell oat groats, which are quite good, but I don't
> > know that they would thicken soup as well as, say, breadcrumbs.
> >
> > -- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
>
> Perhaps, but the recipe specifies oats.  It's a cabbage soup from a 1616 Danish
> cookbook at:
> http://www.forest.gen.nz/Medieval/articles/cooking/1616.html
>
> The recipe is:
> VI. To cook cabbage
> There is no need to write much about it, every farmer’s wife knows how. And often at
> a farmer’s you will taste a better cabbage than in the noble’s kitchen. However this is
> how a cabbage is cooked: Put water and oats on the fire with a red onion or two
> finely chopped. Let it seethe until it is nice and smooth. Chop the cabbage finely, the
> finer the better it will be. When the sauce is smooth then put the cabbage into it and
> let it seethe until it is soft. Then put butter in: but if you want it with lard then grind
> the lard finely first and let it seethe with the oats.
>
> --------------
>

> Brighid ni Chiarain *** mka Robin Carroll-Mann
> Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
> rcmann4 at earthlink.net

I would put the oats in the food processor, and process the little
darlings into meal. When you cook oatmeal and water as described, you get
a thick creamy sauce, or a smooth thin porridge-y kind of thing, which
would be a lovely hearty base for soup.

I have a dry mix for hot cereal that uses a bit of ground oats to provide
a base--it gives a nice creamy texture.

Margaret