[Sca-cooks] OT documenting quilts

Rosine rosine at sybercom.net
Thu Mar 6 05:59:33 PST 2003

> On my quilting section is a link to quilting history.  "Quilted" is
> documented.  As quilted protection under armour, but "quilting" especially
> as we know it today has only been around under 200 years.
>
> Soffya

Please excuse any negative tone of this missive. I am annoyed and am trying
to write as if I'm not.
   If I showed you a petrified two-layer frosted cake made with chocolate
which had been in a family tomb - and the family had owned the tomb since
1550 and had a diary entry from the maker of the tomb, would you then baldly
state, "two layer chocolate cakes as we know them today have only been
around for the last 200 years"?
   I feel as though everything that I wrote, AND the actual picture of the
artefact itself that I offered to send to anyone interested, was just
brushed aside like a cobweb in favour of supporting an outdated theory. When
an artefact shows that a theory is in doubt - it is in doubt. The piecework
and it's history is not in question. The silk and sewing techniques are not
in question. It is just not well known - but is becoming more so. We cannot
put our hands over our eyes and pretend that it does not exist just because
we don't want to change our perception of past activities.

Rosine