[Sca-cooks] suet & vinegar

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Mar 8 18:54:45 PST 2003

Suet should be pretty much the same, but the industrialization of egg
production and the long term storage is modern and has probably altered the
eggs.  Since the technique works with wax, the problem is likely the
inability of the fat to adhere properly to the eggshell and may be related
to those nice, uniform factory laid eggs.

She should probably try a second time with a fresh batch of suet and eggs,
just to make sure there was nothing wrong with the ingredients.

Bear

>I am new to the list and if you don't mind, I have a some semi food
>related questions to ask for Kataryna Dragonweaver.  She has some
>documentation for Psanky or Ukrainian Easter Egg painting that refers to
>the use of suet and she is wondering how our suet might differ from
>period suet.  She did try using it as described and it didn't work.
> Also she was wondering if you could recommend a good recipe for
>vinegar, which she also uses in the process.  She figures if anyone can
>help her it would be this group.  This is the reference she used.
>
>How to acid etch eggs from
The Jewel-house of Art & Nature
 by Hugh
>Plat 1594: