[Sca-cooks] Mustard

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Mar 11 07:12:15 PST 2003

> Sort of anthropology question: my spice grinder (which came labelled as
> coffe grinder on the box, silly them) is one of the old fashioned
> hand-cranked ones.  A hopper on top, and a crank, with a small wooden
> drawer in the bottom where the spices collect. Are most others here
> using electrical grinders?

I'm using an electrical grinder because it's cheaper ($14.99 vs. $80.00
for the hand-cranked ones I've seen).

The plastic bits on my grinder tend to get eroded whenever I grind tough
things, like cinnamon, galingale, etc. Washing the plastic top
immediately, with full immersion, helps. Since I do a lot with mustard
grinding, I also find that the mustard oil has to be dealt with promptly
if at all possible.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Lend our voices only to sounds of freedom/ No longer lend our strength to
that which we wish to be free from/Fill lives with love and bravery/
And we shall lead a life uncommon." -- Jewel, _Life Uncommon_