[Sca-cooks] my last post on pysanky and vinegar

Alma Johnson chickengoddess at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 11 02:44:29 PST 2003

>> > No, but it is documentation for a pysanky-like craft.
>>
>> I know this is splitting hairs, but I must disagree.  The only think this
>> really has in common with pysanky is that eggs are involved.  Otherwise,
it
>> most closely resembles an acid etching project. (In my opinion, of
course.)

>It is a relief design technique used on eggs. That's what it has in common
>with pysanky.

And I must point out that pysanky is not a sculptural or three dimensional
art at all, while the Hugh Plat egg is.  Please understand that I do not
mean to quarrel with you, but your statements are either not expressing the
point you are trying to make, or you are mistaken.

>> As for the etch it would
>> produce, longer immersion should make up for weaker acidity if that seems
>> be a problem.

>Not necessarily. If the pores of the egg are open, a shorter immersion in
>stronger vinegar might well produce more of a peeling effect rather than
>the weakening of the entire thickness of the exposed shell which I
>observed.

Since the vinegar leaches only the calcium, I cannot conceive of this
peeling effect of which you speak.  I have never experienced any effect such
as this.  With ostrich eggs, where pore size is a significant problem
(unlike chicken eggs), the only effect of strong vinegar is an undesirable
increase the pore size, so I must confess my ignorance of this peeling
effect.

Generally, in working with acid etching metal the slower etch is best, while
a faster etch can cause problems.  I realize this is a different technique,
and the same problems don't occur, but that's the general rule of thumb for
etching with acids.

This is all I shall say on this matter.  I have attempted to clarify
ambiguity and rectify errors, and have meant no ill will in my offering of
information.  As I wish to stay within the subject matter of the original
post, further digression to the topics of pysanky and acid etching are not
appropriate to the scope of this list.  Please feel free to have the last
word if you need.

Now I'm going to go play with some eggs.

Rhiannon Cathaoir-mor