[Sca-cooks] Philomena (was: Quail eggs)

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Mar 12 11:11:23 PST 2003

At 01:57 PM 3/12/03 -0500, you wrote:

>> I remember thinking there were similarities to Lavinia in _Titus
>> Andronicus_...
>>
>> 'Lainie
>
>     As I recall, Lavinia's hands were cut off (so she couldn't weave?),
>but she found other ways of identifying her attacker.

She held a stick between the stumps of her arms and wrote it out on the beach.

>     Interesting "chronology."  A Roman woman whose rapist knows a story
>told during the plague in Florence...  :-)

And then by a playwright in Elizabeth's England...

One of my favorite bits on 'Shakespear in Love' was the boy John Webster
telling Shakespeare that he liked all the maiming and killing in _Titus_...
I about died laughing, becasue I had to read some Webster in school, and
the link was a little too much... oddly, not many others in the theatre got
the joke.

'Lainie