[Sca-cooks] lavendar

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Mar 13 07:29:46 PST 2003

> 'Lanie is allergic to lavendar!  So is Elaina!  I have been since a
> small child, but have never heard of anyone else with this particular
> (and truly odd) allergy!  And I had absolutely no idea that it was used
> in Earl Grey tea.  The things you learn on the cooks list!

My mom is allergic to it somewhat (poor Mom, allergic to lavender and with
a neurotic herbalist for a daughter...) A former friend of mine acquired
a severe allergy to lavender when working in a potpourri factory-- a bale
of lavender fell on her and they had to dig her out. (Potpourri factories
apparently don't have those neato scientific hazard showers-- she worked
the rest of the shift in her lavender sodden clothes and by the time she
got home had an asthmatic reaction.)

Lavender has a pretty big aroma molecule, and is very aromatic, so it can
sometimes cause asthma reactions in those without a specific allergy to it
also.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I'm sorry, I can't be the Antichrist for you too. My quota is filled up,
and I can't take any more clients."