[Sca-cooks] corn

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Mar 13 20:11:45 PST 2003

I have to admit I was thinking "deceptive" when I wrote "illusive" and that
"elusive" is correct.

Corn derives from the Latin "granum" in a very roundabout way.  Kernel
derives from the Old English "cyrnel."  The two appear to have some
crossover in various dialects.  Note that kernel is properly spelled with an
"e" rather than an "a' for the second vowel.  As I recall, "kernal," which
is not in the dictionary, is the form most generally used when referring to
computer operating systems.  I blame my twenty odd years as a system
programmer for the misspelling.

Bear