[Sca-cooks] OOP - curries

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Mar 16 15:23:18 PST 2003

If I have the measures right, a pala = 2.3 ounces (based on copper coinage
so the measure is probably troy), a prastha = 16 pala or about 3 pounds
troy, a kumbha (probably your kuduba) is a vessel (also the Indian
astrological equivalent of Aquarius) that has been translated as 20 dronas
or 2 dronas which may represent a variation between dry and wet measure.  20
dronas = 3 bushels 3 gal. = 30.9 gal or 1.54 gal/drona.  In this instance I
would use 3 gal for a kumbha and probably vary it to match the recipe.

Dharana, I haven't been able to work out, but it is a small apothecary
measure.  If the 10:1 ration between dharanas and pala is correct then you
are talking .23 troy ounces.
2 yavas (barley grain) = 1 gunja (berry)
2 gunja = 1 valla (wheat grain)
8 valla = 1 dharana (rice grain)

Be careful using these measures, because I am uncertain of the accuracy of
the translators.

You are using the little red berry-like Szechuan pepper (Zanthoxylum
simulans) rather than the small elongated pepper (which is actually a New
World capsicum?  I'm curious rather than captious.

Also, I'm unfamiliar with Kautilya, so a little historical reference would
be appreciated.

Bear