[Sca-cooks] Cheesecake? OOP

Carol Eskesen Smith BrekkeFranksdottir at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 18 18:07:24 PST 2003

Cheesecake recipes, from my sister-in-law Carol.  This one's incredible, but difficult.

Crust
1 C flour
0.25 C sugar
1 tsp lemon rind
0.25 tsp vanilla
0.5 C butter
1 egg yolk

Cake
5X8 oz cream cheese
1.75 C sugar
0.25 tsp vanilla
0.5 tsp orange rind
3 Tbsp flour
0.25 tsp salt
0.5 tsp lemon rind
2 egg yolks
5 medium eggs
0.25 C heavy cream

for crust, mix flour, sugr, lemon rind, and vanilla.  cut in butter and 1 egg  yolk. Shape into a ball, refigerate at least 1 hour, heat oven to 400.  Press 1/3 of dough into bottom of a spring-loaded form pan and bake 10 min until golden brown.  cool.  Grease sides of pan and fit over base.  Press rest of dough into pan, lining sides.  Set aside while filling is made.
For filling, increase oven temp. to 500.  Beat cheese until fluffy.  combine sugar, vanilla, orange and lemon rid, flour, and salt. Slowly add to cheese, beating until smooth.add eggs and yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Stir in cream.  Puor into lined pan, bake at 500 for 15 min.  Reduce heat to 200 and bake at least 1 hour more or until firm everywhere except a small circle in the center.  Chill on rack away from drafts for 1 hour or longer.  Remove side of pan and refigerate until cold.

Helene's Cream Cheese Cakes (for children, this one is probably easier.  I really like the "frosting" on this one, and have even added it to the recipe above when I'm really decadent.  Oven is 300 throughout; you will use the oven twice.

3X8 oz cream cheese
1 C Sugar
5 eggs
1.5 tsp vanilla

mix together until smooth.  Bake 40 min in paper cups (fill aout 1/2 to 2/3 full).  These cakes will not brown.  Let sit 5 minutes aftr baking.  Cake will drop and form a depression in the center.

Frost with

0.5 pint sour cream
0.25 C sugar
0.25 tsp vanilla

Beat together until creamy.  Frost when cakes are slightly cooled; bake another 5 minutes.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Brekke