[Sca-cooks] Ginger?

Jessica Tiffin melisant at iafrica.com
Sun Mar 23 00:17:15 PST 2003

Mirhaxa asked:
>Is there any evidence as to whether ginger was the fresh root or the dried
>and transported for months variety?

This discussion is bizarrely appropriate: I found myself at our cooks'
guild meeting last night trying to work out whether a German recipe
(Rumpolt) required fresh or dried ginger.  The recipe is no. 113, from M.
Grass's online translation:
Green cabbage with pig's feet/ears / and prepared with good beef broth /
with whole pepper / nutmeg blossoms / crushed ginger / and minced
garlic.  Let it cook therewith.

"Crushed ginger" to me means crushed fresh ginger, but it could also mean
crushed dried ginger... does anyone know of any 16th-century German recipes
which use fresh ginger more explicitly?

(With the fresh ginger, which is what I eventually settled for, it's a
really tasty way of cooking cabbage).

JdH

Lady Jehanne de Huguenin (Jessica Tiffin) * Drachenwald Kingdom Chronicler
Shire of Adamastor, Cape Town, South Africa
melisant at iafrica.com ***  http://users.iafrica.com/m/me/melisant
Sable, three owls rising argent, each maintaining a willow slip vert.