[Sca-cooks] My last post on pysanky and vinegar

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Mon Mar 24 21:39:34 PST 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

Was vinegar
> the only acid solution they had available and used? I'd certainly like to
have
> a good article on these subjects for the Florilegium. And/or it might make
> nice arts & science project.
>

> Stefan

Stefan, they had a large number of caustic subsances in period, recognized
their value, and used them for any number of of processes- they just didn't
classify them the same way we did.

Let me get through the Pyrotechnia and De Re Metallica, and I'll be happy to
give you more detail, but as a start, look up Aqua Regia and Lye.

Their understanding of WHY was limited, but Medieval folk were not stupid,
unobservant, nor environmentally deprived, so if it occurred in nature, they
were quite capable of using it and refining it to a fair extent.

I'll be working the next couple of days, but I should have some time to
peruse my sources and give you some specific uses for specific caustics.

Phlip

cat.

Never a horse that cain't be rode,