[Sca-cooks] curious at the cost of mushrooms

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Mar 26 05:51:34 PST 2003

> A kilo of the least expensive mushrooms available normally costs between
> eight and nine dollars US (although they will go on sale irregularly for
> about $5 per kilo).  Shitakis, portabellos, etc.  are 50 to 100 per cent
> higher and don't go on sale.  Asparagus costs seven to nine dollars per kilo
> US.  In Oklahoma, of course.

Here in the Lehigh Valley of PA, we pay about $1.99/lb (which works out to
about $6.40 a kilo if I'm doing the math right?) but I have a source for
mushrooms at $1.49/lb which works out to, I think, less than $5/kilo. (all
prices U.S.)

Specialty mushrooms run about $3.99/lb which means about $12.75 a kilo.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"The tumult and the shouting dies/The captains and the kings depart
Still stands Thine ancient sacrifice/An humble and a contrite heart."
	-- Rudyard Kipling, Recessional