[Sca-cooks] curious at the cost of mushrooms

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 26 12:45:37 PST 2003

--- Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au wrote:
> A few people have mentioned that mushrooms are
> in the "luxury" price range, which has piqued
> my curiosity.
>
> How much do you pay per kilo for mushrooms in
> the US?  I haven't ever thought of them as
> "luxury" ingredients.
>
> Now asparagras, _thats_ luxury.
>
> Kiriel

Well here in Caid/California, you can get your
average white mushrooms for about $1.50 per lb.
at almost any store. I can find easily
Portobellos, Porcini, Crimini, Shitake and others
ranging from $4-$6 per lb. in almost every
market.

As for asparagus, I bought some on Saturday for
78 cents per lb., as they are in season right
now.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.