[Sca-cooks] French Veggie Dishes / Burgundian event menu

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Mar 26 22:05:39 PST 2003

Generys replied to my questions about her upcoming feast with:
> | > Generys gave her feast menu:
> | > First Course
> | > Soupe Flemande (Flemish Soup)
> |
> | What type of soup is this?
>
> This is actually a somewhat loose interpretation of a recipe found both in
> Le Menagier and Le Viandier - it's a "dish for the sick" called a Flemish
> Caudle by Le Viander, and just a Flemish Soup by Le Menagier.  Basically,
> the original calls for either egg yolks mixed with white wine to be slowly
> stirred into boiling water, or alternatively, egg yolks slowly stirred into
> a mixture of white wine and water.  When you try it, it actually comes out
> very very similarly to egg drop soup.  However, it was rather, um, bland
> (since it's a dish for invalids) so, since there will be no invalids at the
> feast, we're substituting a flavorful homemade vegetable broth, with herbs,
> for the water. I'll post the redaction on my web site after the feast.

What makes you say this is a soup? I've usually heard of caudles being
beverages. But then broths are often eaten/drunk both as a soup or beverage.

caudles-art       (12K) 11/21/97    A medieval drink of warm wine or beer
                                       thickened with eggs by Tibor.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/caudles-art.html
caudls-posets-msg (13K)  2/12/02    Caudles and Possets. Thickened beverages.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/Clarea-d-Agua-art.html

Cindy? Any comments? I seem to remember caudles being mentioned in "A Sip
Through Time".

> | > Sauce Vert et Sauce de Poivre et Ail
> |
> | Green sauce? - Yes, Green Sauce - a nice tart one.  And the other one is a
> Pepper-Garlic sauce, which is very very spicy - it's the one that's redacted
> in The Medieval Kitchen - though with fewer bread crumbs, their version
> comes out very very thick.

Yes, the bread crumbs seem to be one of those things that are difficult to get
precise measures for. How much you need seems to vary depending upon the type
of bread, how old/dry it is, how finely powdered etc. :-(

> | > Taillis (Bread Pudding with almond milk and grapes)
> |
> | What kind of grapes are you planning to use? Some of those tiny
> | champagne grapes seem like they might be nice in this, but maybe too
> | expensive.
>
> We were planning on cut up red grapes, both for color, and because we are
> also using them in the sausage.  Which champagne grapes do you mean? I'm not
> sure I've ever seen them...

The ones I had were sold as bunches of teeny, tiny grapes each grape about an
eighth to a quarter of an inch in diameter. And dark red in color.

Stefan

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com