[Sca-cooks] French Veggie Dishes / Burgundian event menu

Generys ferch Ednuyed generys at blazemail.com
Thu Mar 27 06:18:41 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cindy M. Renfrow" <cindy at thousandeggs.com>
To: <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2003 7:41 AM
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] French Veggie Dishes / Burgundian event menu

| Hi. Caudles were nourishing beverages intended mainly for sick people,
| children, etc. There were many variations.
|
| Sometimes, if they were too hot when you added the egg yolks, this caused
| the eggs to clot. In which case the dish was salvaged by turning it into a
| pottage.
|
| If your caudle came out like egg drop soup instead of eggnog, the liquid
| was too hot when you added the egg yolks. Also, you need to temper the
| yolks with a little hot liquid first before adding them to the bulk of the
| hot liquid.
|
| Yes, I have a chapter on caudles in A Sip Through Time.
| http://www.thousandeggs.com/sip.html
|
| HTH,
|
| Cindy

Hmm, since I don't have A Sip Through Time, (and don't have the finances to
acquire it between now and feast, too many other purchases to make) I'm
curious  as to what the source for it being more like egg nog than egg drop
soup? The two recipes I have seem to specify to drip the eggs into boiling
water, but I could very easily be wrong, and I would love to have more
sources on this...(I kinda like egg drop soup, but if it's wrong, it's
wrong... :-> )

Generys