[Sca-cooks] Chicken for feast

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Mar 27 13:38:27 PST 2003

At 04:14 PM 3/27/03 EST, you wrote:
>--
>In a message dated 3/27/2003 4:10:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>amandablackwolf at cox.net writes:
>
>> Is it best to carve the chicken in the kitchen or let them carve at the
>> tables (I'm thinking the kitchen)?
>>
>That would be your best bet. Carving chickens is messy... Most feast tables
>don't have the elbow room to do a decent job and surprisingly few people 1)
>know how to do it efficiently or 2) carry a reasonable knife to handle the
>task - and if they do it is often already dirty.  It would be kinder to your
>feasters to carve the whole birds for them before serving.

For Yule feast last year we wanted to send out whole birds, so we trained
two of teh servers specificall to carve, and while teh other dishes in that
course were going around, they went from table to table, carving the birds.
It was way cool, and gave the populace a bit of the feel of the high table,
with their own carvers.

'Lainie