[Sca-cooks] White Flour, White Sugar

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Mar 27 18:53:26 PST 2003

Offlist I sent Anahita some references for the sugar question:

Briefly they include--

Holloway, Johnna. “Sugar Icing. 16th Century English References by Johnnae
llyn Lewis.” 2001. http://home.earthlink.net/~mkcooks/SUGARICING.htm  or as
“Sugar Icing" by Johnnae llyn Lewis. 2001. http://www.florilegium.org/
In that article I write: Sugar would have been obtained in cones of varying
weights and quality. There were two English sugar refineries in the 1550's;
by 1650, there were at least 50 in just London. Double refined sugar was
refined sugar that was refined again in England.

Beranbaum, Rose Levy. “Rose's Sugar Bible.” Food Arts Magazine, April 2000.
also http://www.thecakebible.com/articles/articles-rosessugarbible.html

If you would look up sugar in Davidson, Alan. The Oxford Companion to Food.
Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1999. I think that the information in that
would be enough to dispel these sorts of assumptions. See also the book
Sweetness and Power by Mintz.

For the white flour question, see Elizabeth David's English Bread and Yeast
Cookery.

Hope this helps.

Johnna Holloway   Johnnae llyn Lewis

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote: snipped