[Sca-cooks] Re:Chicken for feast (Hyssop)

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Mar 28 05:58:42 PST 2003

> definitely avoid it, as shoud children.  The 'safe' dose for oil of
> hyssop is considered to be less than 0.08g/kg according the the
> toxicology reference I have handy.  I'm not sure how much fresh herb
> would translate to 0.08g of oil, but it would seem to be a fairly
> small amount.  Maybe try a herbology reference for more info if you're
> bent on using it.

Amounts of essential oil that are safe don't always translate into amounts
of herb that are safe. Essential oil of sage, for instance, contains
unacceptably large amounts of thujone and shouldn't be used with other
people. (My feeling is that if I choose to use it myself, that's my
look-out.) However, eating food with sage in it is pretty safe.

Check the Physician's Desk Reference for Herbal Medicine to find out what
the toxicology data is for the herb itself.

> Rue and Bergamot are likewise substances that should be treated
> carefully as they can be toxic in fairly small amounts.

Do you mean oil of bergamot fruit, or oil of Monarda Didyma?

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"The tumult and the shouting dies/The captains and the kings depart
Still stands Thine ancient sacrifice/An humble and a contrite heart."
	-- Rudyard Kipling, Recessional