[Sca-cooks] Re: File Seasoning

Nicholas S. Malone Nix at iolinc.net
Sun Mar 30 08:55:29 PST 2003

Sassafras is still sold commercially, raw, powdered and processed as
extract.  Root beer extracts are mostly the same extract but with
caramel added. And if file did not add any flavor it would not be there,
you never use enough to thicken a hugh pot of gumbo. And okra is not
optional or alternative to real gumbo. The roots do indeed have a bark
or skin that has much more of the flavorings than the core. I have dug
and used sassafras for seasoning and tea for most of my life and my
family grows and uses it regularly and have for at least 4 generations
that I witnessed, they say longer. We always peel the roots. While the
root core is aromatic it is much less so than the peel. If you need to
fake the consistency in your gumbo your doing it wrong.