[Sca-cooks] That tile project....

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Mar 30 22:35:04 PST 2003

Maire commented:
> I've got a couple of readily-available (pictorial) sources for anyone
> interested in doing anything with that tile project we were talking
> about a couple of weeks ago.....
<snip of book citations>

Thanks, Maire.

Yes, I am still planning on doing the tile project, tentatively called "Tiles of Any Media".

I still need to contact the Pennsic folks and see what facilities are
available and when.
At Gulf Wars, during my pewter casting class, I was approached by two ladies
running some stuff at Lilies War to do it here also. I am working on this.
Unfortunately, my work appears to have decided that everyone will take a week
off in June. They chose the week before Lilies, not Lilies week. So I'll have
to see if I can swing the additional vacation time.

The purpose of this display is to show in a uniform way the great number of
different media/artforms that are done in the SCA, as well as to encourage
folks to try media which they have not worked in before.

Tenative rules are:
1) tiles to be 8 inches by 8 inches and one to one and a half inches thick.
2) And individual can enter as many tiles as they wish, but only one tile per
type of media.
3) The media type has to have been used in the SCA period, even if it wasn't
used to make tiles. Etched copper is okay. Plastic straws and paper are not.

We will register the artist and the type of media when a "square" is assigned
and try to make available at the War a list of all the tiles entered. The
ground will be marked off in a grid system so that the tiles in any
photographs can be identified later.

I am hoping to allow participation by folks that won't be attending these two
Wars by arranging for mailed in tiles to be accepted. What to do with them
afterwards is the main problem. Probably using them as donations to one of the
auctions, but I've not contacted any of the auction folks to find out if they
are even interested.

I will run this under the sponsorship of the Florilegium, since many of the possible media are talked about there.

I will need some volunteers to help me with this, both at the War and
beforehand. I'd rather this be everyone's project. Not just Stefan's.
I would like to put some pictures of example tiles on the (soon to be) Tile
Project pages in the Florilegium. I also would like to post a list detailing
possible media and some links to information for each media. So if folks have
suggestions for different media, I'd love to have them.

Of course, suggestions, ideas and criticisms are also welcome.

I was planning on making the first major announcements on this in the next few
days, probably with my next Florilegium article even though I don't have all
the schedule and location details nailed down yet. ("nailed down". Hmmm.
Wonder if something could be done with a bunch of hand blacksmithed nails...)

Stefan
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com