[Sca-cooks] Key Lime Pie (OT)

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 31 17:51:10 PST 2003

Phlip wrote:
>For one thing, the Key
>Limes are different from the limes most people are used to seeing. Most
>people think of limes as being, essentially, green lemons, the same size,
>thick skinned, with a grass green rind instead of a yellow one. Key limes
>aren't- they're smaller, and thin skinned, with a different flavor from the
>lime most of us are so used to, and the rind is a browner, or more golden,
>green.

Really? My experience of limes, just plain ordinary limes is that
they are smaller and thin skinned, and rather round... nothing like a
lemon.

I do know that Key Limes taste different than regular limes. The ever
famous and fabulous Berkeley Bowl had some Key Limes last time i was
in there. They were smaller than a regular lime and the skin was a
bit less intensely colored...

The aforementioned Berkeley Bowl also sells "Persian Lemons" which
sure look like lemons, inside and out, but they are NOT sour.

And there are citrus fruits i had in Indonesia i rather miss. Jeruk
nipis, for example. Looks like a lime on the outside, has yellow
flesh on the inside, and its flavor is, well, indescribable, but
somewhere a flavor that partakes a bit of lime, lemon, and orange.

And there is another citrus i had somewhere - about the size and
shape of a small orange, with skin as green as a common lime, and
orange flesh inside, and another one of those specific flavors...

Indonesia is full of citrus fruits unlike any we have here. I suspect
that they probably bred them over time. Americans aren't the only
ones who fiddle around with plants.

Of course, they didn't come up with the idea of putting fish genes
into tomatoes or spider genes into goats...

Anahita