[Re: [Sca-cooks] OT: Harry Potter]

Patches slpatch at mfire.com
Mon May 5 21:54:35 PDT 2003

"I rather envision the Hogwarts pumpkin juice as looking something between
pulpless OJ and unfiltered apple juice. It's gotta be cut with something-
otherwise those kids would be floating in carotine.

I have got to find a decent recipe for butterbeer- the ones I've seen
basically have you pouring melted butter into root beer. *Gag* Apparently
it is mildly alcoholic (my guess is 3%). Don't the Tibetans have something
made out of butter that is about that strong? Or am I misremembering?

'Lainie
-only mildly obsessed :-/"

 I threw a HP theme Halloween party a couple years ago. For the butterbeer I
used creme soda cut with "ButterShots" butterscotch flavor schnapps and a
little cream for the adults, for the kids I used just a drop of butterscotch
flavoring instead of the schnapps. It turned out pretty well, at least the
adults seemed to all get 'Winkied'. The resulting brew looked like light
caramel color milk and was very smooth and 'buttery' tasting, fairly high %
alcohol. (I work as a bartender in the NCO club and this is a cocktail,
definitely NOT a beer.)

 I was stumped on the pumpkin juice and finally ended up running canned
pumpkin, water and just enough apple juice to taste through the blender and
serving over ice. Most people said it was pretty good - but not quite there.
The kids preferred the pumpkin juice, the adults the butterbeer. Go figure.
FWIW: My sister still drinks the butterbeer concoction!

If anyones interested I can dig out the recipe disk for the food and email
them - we tried to duplicate almost every unusual food mentioned in the books.
Some really good hits, a couple notable misses!

Lady Catherine

The Brigands Cache
"Purveyors of Fine Goods Acquired"
http://www.brigandscache.com