[Sca-cooks] Fun with Libraries!

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu May 8 20:55:16 PDT 2003

Hi y'all!

Ok, so I spent the last couple of hours on-line, tracking down some stuff
to back up an off-hand comment in The Book, and I discovered something
truly wow.

The Library in Cordoba in the 11th century (that is, before the Crusaders
came and sacked it GRRR) had 400,000 volumes. Wow enough, yeah?

Last January, I was at the opening of the new Library in Eugene, Oregon.
I'd been part of the fundraising, as the SLUG Queen, Carmen Slugana, and
the assembled Queens raised enough money that they let us put a plaque on
the wall next to the handicapped-access restroom on the ground floor- it is
the SLUG Queens' 'Throne Room'. The building it huge- four stories plus
basement, roughly half a city block. It's gorgeous. And it houses in books,
tapes, videotapes, CDs, maps, magazines, yadda yadda yadda... 351,000 items.

That library in Cordoba was... Oh... Wow...

'Lainie/Laura/Queen Carmen %@):-D) <--me with fruit hat :-)