[Sca-cooks] 1593 Dutch cookbook - Request for Dutch assistance

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Sun May 11 14:36:47 PDT 2003

Greetings,

I have completed a very-fast-and-rough translation into English
of the 1593 Dutch cookbook "Cocboeck" by Carolus Battus.

The reason I engaged in this fit of temporary insanity was that
it appeared to contain a couple of recipes that corresponded with
recipes in the Belgian cookbook "Ouverture de Cuisine" (for which
I am the coordinator of the English translation project).

Interestingly, Carolus Battus was born in Belgium.

I am looking for someone with a good knowledge of Dutch who
would be interested in cleaning up the rough translation.

This is an open-ended offer.

- For someone able to spend a few days comparing the original
Dutch and the English, correcting the horrible goofs that I
will have made, and providing translations for many of the 75
or so words that have me stumped so far: - the chance to be
the co-author of the rough English translation that would be
made available, with disclaimers, on the web.

- For someone interested in turning this into a fully-fledged
English translation: - the chance to take over as the principal
author.

If within a few weeks nobody has taken up the offer, or made me
a different counter-offer, I will then release the very rough
translation onto the web, as is, with copious disclaimers.

There are some very 'interesting' recipes in "Cocboeck".

Master Thorvald Grimsson (James Prescott)